Are there any proverbs/sayings that are commonly mentioned in your family or group of friends? If so, what is it? What does it mean to you? Have you been in a situation in which you had to apply it?

Comments

  1. Yes, in my family we always mention: Money talks.
    We often use it when we watch The news, and we see how powerful people get their justice or get a job, for example, just because they are rich or just because they have enough money for it.

    So, yeah, that is exactly what it means, rich people who spend their money on whatever they want no matter how expensive it is and they don't care about the consequences.

    I have never had the opportunity to apply it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, I believe that only people with enough money or power could apply this proverb. Unfortunately, it's very common to see this situation in the country. I really hope in the future the way of thinking of these people will change.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, I believe that economic position greatly influences the opportunities you have from the moment you are born, a good education, activities that allow you to develop different skills and health services are a reality for few, as well as a job with a decent salary.

      Delete
  2. Yes, my mom usually tells me the proverb: "no pain, no gain". For me it means that we need to strive and work hard to achieve what we set out to do.

    I have applied it on some occasions, one of them was when I decided to learn to play the guitar. At first,I was very bad playing it, so I started practicing every day, even my fingers hurt but giving up was not an option. Eventually, I managed to play my first song. It really was worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s stupendous that you managed to play guitar, certainly the feeling when you learn how to do something that was difficult it is indescribable. But on the other hand I have conflict with the part: no pain.
      I mean, sometimes just because you feel pain doesn't mean it is correct, don’t cross the line and hurt yourself.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps the saying does not only refer to feeling physical pain, when someone wants something or wants to learn something that someone sacrifices time and effort and it is another type of pain... maybe.

      It's great that you learned to play the guitar, I always wanted to but never learned.

      Delete
    3. I believe that effort is always necessary when you want something, and the reward will be gratifying, many times the process can be long, but the satisfaction of achieving your goals is unique.

      Delete
  3. I like that proverb. I feel that your grandmother is very right, since we can make mistakes in learning or practice. However, learning from our mistakes and perseverance are the keys that will help us to be better at whatever we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s true what your grandma told her. No one of us born knowing everything, so we should be able to deal with the frustration and above all understand that making a mistake is part of us, is part of our personal growth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “From the plate to the mouth the soup falls”

    ‍It is used to warn that when carrying out our plans many things can happen along the way, so nothing is 100% certain in life.

    I recently understand this when I expect a plan in my life but unfortunately, the result was different, I understand that in some cases I need to work harder in my dreams and never forgot the initial goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This saying is very true, because many times unforeseen events happen that we do not have the power to change and expecting things to always go as planned can be very disappointing.

      Delete
    2. This is true, I sold a project at Terminal 2 of AICM in early 2005. It included the baggage handling system through of the ICA constructor. But that company cancelled me the purchase order two months after. It was a bad news for me and my company.

      Delete
  6. At work lately we've been using the proverb a lot, “Never say never”. The case we had is of our colleague who mentioned that she would never have children because the world is not a suitable place to raise them. However after half a year she already had a boyfriend and today she is pregnant. So in talks with my co-workers I prefer not to give opinions, because it is likely that I will regret it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good saying and we must always take it into account in our lives, although sometimes it is easier said than done because sometimes it is scary to do things and our comfort zone are the words "No and never"

      Delete
  7. My family always tell me "A full belly and a happy heart" because I get angry if I'm hungry hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to me too, when I don't eat or sleep. I get upset and I don't want to talk to anyone.

      Delete
    2. Analyzing the phrase a little more, I could talk about how it is easier to be happy when you have already eaten. For example homeless people, first they look for something to eat but cannot enjoy other things in life.

      Delete
    3. It is a phrase that reflects the importance of food in our daily routine, and that it is one of the greatest pleasures for human beings, as well as a basic need.

      Delete
  8. In my family I think that the phrase that is repeated the most is 'when it's your turn, it's your turn', which refers to the fact that when things are going to happen to you, no matter what you do, they will happen. Therefore, it is better prepared for the moment that happens.

    I think the time I've used this the most is when I go to the store to buy something I like, but I don't have money with me, so there is a possibility that someone will take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could also think that there are times when wonderful moments happen to us and our hearts are happy and it is because we have to live it, maybe because we work on it in some way or maybe because we deserve it.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with that phrase, since sometimes we can get angry if a certain situation does not happen when we had it planned. But when a situation is determined for you, at some point you can see the results reflected.

      Delete
  9. Studying is something that we should all learn for the future, since the better we are trained, the better we can aspire to positions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. During meetings with acquaintances from school and work, it is a common situation to talk about the goals that each one has set and take into consideration some of the opinions of the others.

    Being very usual to hear the following phrase "nothing ventured nothing gained", and also this one "Actions speak louder than words".

    Its obvious that both phrases refers to the importance to take action in order to achieve the goals that eachone have. aditionally refers that actions are the key to get the results that eachone pretend to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What can’t be cured must be endured.
    I have listened my parents saying that and I totally agree with them. I consider that most part of the time the situations put us in big struggles, but we always have to face them and we must view the life in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Probably that's become a sort of guiding principle for your niece. Your grandmother was totally right. If we didn't make mistakes, we would never learn to overcome ourselves

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely. It is obvious that we can't be experts in all the topics and aspects of life, but we can be ready and prepared for always acquiring knowledge, lessons and experience everytime

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a big family, so when I have a reunion with my cousins and they are eating a lot, my aunt always said to them: "let the government support you" it's not a deep proverb but this one always makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment